Friday, December 17, 2010

First post: Firebug-Lite



I have recently discovered a powerful ally in Firebug-lite. Firebug is a popular web development plugging for Mozilla Firefox.

Unfortunately the full version is not available for other browsers. I am new to web design and my least favorite task is having to debug IE 5-7. It is safe to say that at this point I hate these browsers. Many times I have had to hack parts of my layout in order to get them to work on these browsers. I have recently spent hours working on conditional css files designed for the sole purpose of getting my site to look the same way in these browsers; this is in no way fun.

Thankfully however I have recently found a way to get Firebug to run inside of just about any browser. All you have to do is paste the following code into the head section of your webpage:



<script type="text/javascript" src="https://getfirebug.com/firebug-lite.js"></script>



Or alternatevely just downloas the .js file and include it that way.

Needless to say that this little app is a lifesaver when debugging IE and could possibly help you in any other browser. It does not work in IE5 at all and IE6 support is a little buggy but man it has gotten me out of more than one jam already.

No comments: